Re: For index bloat: VACUUM ANALYZE vs REINDEX/CLUSTER

From: Ow Mun Heng <Ow(dot)Mun(dot)Heng(at)wdc(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Phoenix Kiula <phoenix(dot)kiula(at)gmail(dot)com>, Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: For index bloat: VACUUM ANALYZE vs REINDEX/CLUSTER
Date: 2007-09-18 05:54:01
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 22:14 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Phoenix Kiula wrote:
> > So a YES/NO question:
> >
> > Q: To get rid of index bloat, is a VACUUM ANALYZE enough? Or must I
> > reindex/cluster indexes?
>
> If you overrun your max_fsm_pages, no:
> else yes;

Maybe my english suck, but I don't understand the above answer.

If I overrun my Max_FSM_pages then a vacuum analyse is enough to return
it back to normal.

If I _didn't_ overrun my fsm, then a reindex/cluster is necessary.

Did I get that right? (I feel it's wrong and a reindex/cluster is needed
only when I overrun my max_fsm)