Re: Database owner can't select

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Database owner can't select
Date: 2006-04-14 17:34:24
Lists: pgsql-general

"Kevin Galligan" <mailinglists(at)kgalligan(dot)com> writes:
> set up and I can log in as that user. I've set the owner of the simple
> database to that user with 'ALTER DATABASE [db] OWNER TO [user]', and this
> user shows up as the owner with '\l+'. Yet, I can't do anything with the
> database as that user.

Ownership of a database doesn't imply much except the right to drop the
DB as a whole. In particular, it has essentially nothing to do with
privileges on pre-existing objects within the database.

> However, from what I can gather from reading this...
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/privileges.html
> the owner should be able to do this kind of stuff without explicitly adding
> privs.

Where do you get that from? It's certainly not the intended meaning.

Perhaps what you want to do is also ALTER OWNER on each
table/function/etc within the database.