Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL

From: Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>
To: Vratislav_Morkus(at)lmc(dot)cz
Cc: Postgresql-General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL
Date: 2005-08-01 17:54:12
Lists: pgsql-general

Am Montag, den 01.08.2005, 18:44 +0200 schrieb Vratislav_Morkus(at)lmc(dot)cz:
> Hi all,
> I am sorry for a stupid easy question, but I'am PostgreSQL novice.
> Our development team has encountered problem with trying to install and
> maintain cluster (pgcluster) on our production database. So they have
> decided to switch the entire solution to MySql database.
> a) have you got any good/bad experience with administering and running
> cluster on PostrgeSQL DB?
> b) would u switch PostgreSQL to MySql (7.4 --> 4.1) and why?

Usually only a few installations need a cluster solution anyway.
Did you try with optimized queries and a single machine
postgres? You have online backup too so you dont need a cluster
for this functionality.
If it turns out you have to distribute load somehow, there
is slony and pgpool.

Regards
Tino Wildenhain