Re: Release note trimming: another modest proposal

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Release note trimming: another modest proposal
Date: 2018-08-06 19:27:35
Lists: pgsql-docs

I wrote:
> Hm, so the only objection I can think of is that this results in the old
> release notes only being available on the website; there's no other way
> to access them, short of digging around in the git repo. But maybe that's
> enough.

Actually, a concrete reason why that might not be good is that it results
in having a single point of failure: once we remove branch N's relnotes
from the active branches, the only copy of that data is the one in the
archive table the docload script is filling. Given, say, a bug in the
docload script that causes it to overwrite the wrong table entries,
can we recover?

This doesn't seem insoluble, but it might mean a bit more work to do
to ensure we can revert back to an earlier version of that table.