Re: More Praise for 7.4RC2

From: Reece Hart <reece(at)in-machina(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: More Praise for 7.4RC2
Date: 2003-11-13 01:46:23
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 09:04, jake johnson wrote:

> I also posted about the performance increase of 7.4, but I think that
> much of the difference you're seeing (because it's such a large
> difference) is probably due to the cleanliness of a newly restored
> database from backup.

I agree that this seems likely, except that the 7.3.4 database is
vacuumed nightly, and analyzed periodically. And about a week ago I
reclustered on the index intended to most facilitate this select.
Furthermore, merely hardcoding the subselect result achieves a
tremendous improvement (which was the workaround I used). So, I'm pretty
sure that it's not a vacuum, index use, or cleanliness issue.

I also meant to add in my original post that the system is a dual 2.4G
xeon with 4GB of RAM.

-Reece

--
Reece Hart, http://www.in-machina.com/~reece/, GPG:0x25EC91A0 0xD178AAF9