Re: new interface

From: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
To: Reggie Burnett <rykr(at)bellsouth(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: new interface
Date: 2002-12-06 15:19:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2002-12-06 at 09:55, Reggie Burnett wrote:
> I'm working on a new interface to PostgreSQL and having a difficult
> time. Perhaps someone here can shed some light on the subject.
>
> 1. Am I correct in thinking that the OID that I receive with the
> RowDescription is the column type? I have several of those defined from

The OID is just a relatively unique database wide row marker -- which
you cannot count on existing in user tables. Nothing more or less. In
some of the system tables it is used as a foreign key to records in
other system tables, but Oid by itself has no such meaning.

> I have read through all the docs/faqs I can find and still have no good
> idea about this.

Take a look at the 'System Catalog' documentation, and in psql the -E
option will show you the 'system' queries used to retrieve the
information for display in psql.

--
Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>

PGP Key: http://www.rbt.ca/rbtpub.asc