Re: new interface

From: "Reggie Burnett" <rykr(at)bellsouth(dot)net>
To: "'Rod Taylor'" <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Cc: "'PostgreSQL-development'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: new interface
Date: 2002-12-06 15:30:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Let me see if I can add more information here. PSQL appears to only
retrieve table metadata when \d is given. For my interface, I will need
the ability to present every column as a proper system object (int, byte
array, currency, etc) depending on the db type. I will not be able to
wait for the user of my interface to execute a method before retrieving
this data so I will need to automatically retrieve it every time.

Having looked at the query issued by \d in PSQL, it would seem that I
would need to issue that same query for every column in my select. I
say that because it contains a join of pg_class and pg_attribute.

Am I understanding this right?

In