postgres authentication

From: acchung(at)mit(dot)edu
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: postgres authentication
Date: 2002-07-10 20:48:34
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

I changed my pg_hba.conf file so that I am authenticating using
md5 from passwdfile which is a file i created to hold my passwords.
I didn't add postgres onto that file but when I type psql template1
under postgres, it prompts me for my password. i type it in
and it gives me

psql: FATAL 1: Password authentication failed for user "postgres"

I only have one password for postgres which I used perfectly fine
to log into linux. I also use the same password to switch between
postgres and other non-root users in the bash shell. i tried adding postgres
into the passwdfile file but to no avail. How do I correct this
password bug for postgres so that I can do stuff as a superuser?
HELP!

Alex