Re: Postgres config file: autocommit = off

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>, Rasmus Resen Amossen <rresena(at)hotmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres config file: autocommit = off
Date: 2003-06-02 18:25:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> SET autocommit to 'off' is going away in 7.4 so the SET USER command
> will not work anymore in that release, and I can't think of a
> workaround. There will be interface-specific settings, I assume, but I
> am not sure how that would be controlled per-user.

As I was just telling some Red Hat cohorts, I intend to provide
autocommit support in psql for 7.4 --- probably controlled by a psql
variable, though I've not gotten round to designing the details yet.
In any case it will be possible to turn autocommit off in your ~/.psqlrc
file if you have the desire to do so. I would also say that the setting
will not apply to psql -c invocations, thus avoiding the worst effects
for scripts ...