Re: Problems with renaming a column

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problems with renaming a column
Date: 2003-06-02 18:20:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca> writes:
>> I do not think we need to remove the column.

> Is it ok that the consrc column is not synch'd with conbin? What does
> it provide if it doesn't match?

Documentation of the original form of the constraint, perhaps?

> At very least we should be discouraging it's use so the pgadmin,
> phppgadmin, etc. folks know not to be using it.

It would be a good idea for the system catalog descriptions to note that
decompiling the binary form is better for tools to do. When you're just
scavenging through the catalogs by hand, though, I think the source
forms are convenient to have.

The binary forms have their own disadvantages, btw, although I think the
addition of dependency tracking has mitigated the worst ones. You may
care to consult the archives for prior discussions of adsrc vs. adbin.