Re: Starting pgAdmin4 on Ubuntu 21.04

From: Ray O'Donnell <ray(at)rodonnell(dot)ie>
To: Anthony DeBarros <anthonymdebarros(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgAdmin Support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Starting pgAdmin4 on Ubuntu 21.04
Date: 2021-06-16 10:28:38
Lists: pgadmin-support

On 16/06/2021 11:22, Anthony DeBarros wrote:
> Hello! I just did a fresh install of pgAdmin 4 v5.3 on Ubuntu 21.04
> Hirsute using the steps at
> https://www.pgadmin.org/download/pgadmin-4-apt/
> <https://www.pgadmin.org/download/pgadmin-4-apt/>.
>
> I followed those install steps after the ones I normally try, at
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt
> <https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt>, led to a message that pgAdmin
> was not available for Hirsute.

Hi there,

It is available for Hirsute - I've running Kubuntu, and installed it via
apt as above.

> In any event, the application icon now appears in the Activities
> overview, and I can launch pgAdmin successfully.
>
> Question:
>
> In past pgAdmin installs when I used the steps on the PostgreSQL wiki, I
> was able to launch pgAdmin by entering "pgadmin" at my Terminal prompt.
> This does not work under my new install. Is that expected behavior now
> that pgAdmin is a standalone app?

I'd imagine that this is down to the packaging rather than pgAdmin
itself. Anyway, examining the menu entry on my laptop reveals the
following command launches it:

/usr/pgadmin4/bin/pgadmin4

So you could maybe add /usr/pgadmin4/bin to your PATH, or set up an
alias in your .profile, or something like that.

I hope that this helps.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell // Galway // Ireland