Re: Dying PostgreSQL backend

From: "otisg" <otisg(at)iVillage(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Dying PostgreSQL backend
Date: 2002-05-07 03:47:31
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello,

Unfortunately, I cannot get PostgreSQL to dump core despite setting
ulimit -c to:
[root(at)linux2 otis]# ulimit -a
core file size (blocks) unlimited

And starting PostgreSQL this way:
su -l postgres -s /bin/sh -c "/usr/bin/pg_ctl -D $PGDATA -p
/usr/bin/postmaster start"

The backend doesn't want to dump core, it just dies and restarts, dies
and restarts.
I am really running only 2 very similar UPDATE statements. They update
the same table, changing only a few fields.

I tried running VACUUM ANALYZE more frequently, but that didn't make any
difference.

Is there any other way that I can get more information out of postgres
backend?

Thanks,
Otis
Sign up for FREE iVillage newsletters <http://s.ivillage.com/rd/16705> .
>From health and pregnancy to shopping and relationships, iVillage
has the scoop on what matters most to you.