Re: deprecating contrib for PGXN

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: Darren Duncan <darren(at)darrenduncan(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: deprecating contrib for PGXN
Date: 2011-05-18 16:15:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On May 18, 2011, at 10:30 AM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:

> The other problem is that the facility we need to provide the most is
> binary distributions (think apt-get). Lots of site won't ever compile
> stuff on their production servers. So while PGXN is a good tool, it's
> not a universal answer.

Yeah, I would think that, *if* we were to seriously look at deprecating contrib (and I'm not suggesting that at all), one would *first* need to solve the binary distribution problems.

I think building tools so that PGXN distributions are automatically harvested and turned into StackBuilder/RPM/.deb binaries would be the place to start on that.

Best,

David