Re: Policy query: sponsor endorsements

From: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jonathan(dot)katz(at)excoventures(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Policy query: sponsor endorsements
Date: 2014-08-27 19:18:53
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Aug 27, 2014, at 12:55 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:

>> The fact that EY in this case has had their logo and endorsement
>> posted on every conference presentation the people they sponsored have
>> made is not enough?
>
> I'm not in a position to say. Seems pretty good to me. On the other
> hand, I do have a quote from an EY person ...
>
>>> We do want to "reward" companies for supporting PostgreSQL development,
>>> and have in the past noted which companies sponsored certain features.
>>> Otherwise this source of development funding will dry up, and it's easy
>>> enough for us to give a company a few lines on a web page.
>>
>> We have? Can you give an example, so we have something to compare to?
>
> Yah, I'll dig.
>
>> I agree it's easy, but you need to figure out exactly who deserves to
>> be there. How man lines are 2ndquadrant going to get? Salesforce? EDB?
>> VMWare? There needs to be some sort of criteria.
>>
>> Maybe something like "those things that are listed as major
>> enhancements" would work for that - as long as that doesn't send us
>> spiraling into a discussion about what gets to be listed under major
>> enhancements...
>
> Agreed.
>
> Probably this also means we need to get to overhauling the sponsors page
> post-haste.

Well, this can be in effect now (https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/NewDraftSponsorCriteria) so we should do the initial reorganization.

It looks like we can organize it directly from the web admin panel, so if there are no objections, I can handle the re-org fairly quickly, and we can go from there.

Jonathan