Re: The tragedy of SQL

From: Rob Sargent <robjsargent(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The tragedy of SQL
Date: 2021-09-14 06:18:33
Lists: pgsql-general

On 9/13/21 11:51 PM, Guyren Howe wrote:
> They are making a decent decision. SQL is a *fucking terrible*
> language, which I don’t blame them for not wanting to learn.
>
> The whole industry, programming languages, infrastructure, everything
> would have developed differently if relations were a natural,
> pleasurable thing to use in any programming language. Like an Array,
> or a Hash.
> On Sep 13, 2021, 22:45 -0700, Hemil Ruparel
> <hemilruparel2002(at)gmail(dot)com>, wrote:
>> SQL is not the problem. Problem are the devs. I love SQL. I hate
>> orms. The problem with databases is people refuse to treat it as the
>> entity it is and want to use their beautiful OO system. Problem is
>> databases are not OO. We need to recognize that and treat databases
>> as databases.
All languages are fucking terrible.  There are thousands of the them
because some people bump into a feature they don't like and run off an
make another fucking terrible language.  For the love of God, please
don't be one of those people.  The rest of us find languages we can
abide and do productive things with using features we like and avoiding
those we don't.  I've always felt it was no small miracle the vendors
managed to agree to ODBC/JDBC driver specs (even though the SQL language
definition is "more like guidelines").  Go scream at the DOM and JavaScript.