Re: plpgsql Field of Record issue

From: "Rod Taylor" <rbt(at)zort(dot)ca>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Hackers List" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: plpgsql Field of Record issue
Date: 2002-03-03 21:40:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> "Rod Taylor" <rbt(at)zort(dot)ca> writes:
> > Is there any other way to accomplish NEW.TG_ARGV[0] in plpgsql,
>
> You could do something involving EXECUTE.

Then it tells me:: ERROR: NEW used in non-rule query

Tried a few other things, FOR .. IN EXECUTE .. which gives the same
error as above.

The below query gives me the same error as well -- though I'd be
surprised if it worked anyway:
CREATE TEMP TABLE test AS SELECT * FROM (NEW);

Creating a record and assigning NEW to it gives a parse error.