Re: To Postgres Devs : Wouldn't changing the select limit

From: "Mitch Vincent" <mvincent(at)cablespeed(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: To Postgres Devs : Wouldn't changing the select limit
Date: 2001-10-18 23:35:39
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

LIMIT m OFFSET m *is* there now..

There is a LIMIT m,n syntax too I guess, though it appears that it's
backwards from MySQL..

I don't see much point in having two different ways of doing the same
thing unless you wanted to maintain compatibility with another RDBMS - but
that doesn't appear to be the case here (isn't that reversed from the MySQL
implementation?).. However, removing it now is going to break people's SQL..
I didn't know you could LIMIT m,n until today so I wouldn't have a clue as
to how many people actually use that syntax. Perhaps the idea of tossing a
notice up that that syntax is going away in the next release would be a
better idea than just yanking it out right away - then we can see how many
people complain :-)

-Mitch