filling an empty table w/ defaults defined

From: JT Kirkpatrick <jt-kirkpatrick(at)mpsllc(dot)com>
To: "'pgsql-sql(at)hub(dot)org'" <pgsql-sql(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: filling an empty table w/ defaults defined
Date: 1999-04-27 19:57:14
Lists: pgsql-sql

Is there a way to "turn off" a field (insertdt datetime primary key default
text 'now') as I populate a table? I have a populated table, and a mirror
image of its structure except with the field shown above added. I'd like
to insert data into the new table from the old, but postgres is telling me
it cannot insert a duplicate key into a unique index - I figure it is
trying to use the same date/time value for 'now'. is there any other way?

jt