Re: PostgreSQL doesn't accept connections when Windows

From: George Weaver <gweaver(at)shaw(dot)ca>
To: Harald Armin Massa <haraldarminmassa(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL doesn't accept connections when Windows
Date: 2006-11-27 21:42:19
Lists: pgsql-general

----- Original Message -----
From: Harald Armin Massa

Hi Harald,

>I guess your service is not running after rebooting? You can check this via services.msc

This is what is confusing me - the service IS running after rebooting, but does not appear to be listening on port 5435. If I simply restart the service in the Administrative Tools > Component Services section everything is fine.

>>During the installation process, when it came time to run initdb, the installer would stop with the error message:

>> "Failed to run initdb: 128. Please see the logfile in 'C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.1\tmp\initdb.log.
> > Note! You must read/copy this logfile before you click OK, or it will be automatically removed."

> Did you read that log? Read and copy it befor clicking OK, just as the message stated?

When I tried to (before clicking OK), there was no initdb.log file - or any other file - in the 'C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.1\tmp\ directory.

>One try to repair this: login as Administrator, open services.msc, and from the postgreSQL service refill the login information. That does reset the LOGON_AS_SERVICE privilege.

I'll give this a try and see what happens.

George