Re: [HACKERS] Re: Hashing passwords (was Updated TODO list)

From: "Gene Sokolov" <hook(at)aktrad(dot)ru>
To: "Mattias Kregert" <matti(at)algonet(dot)se>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: Hashing passwords (was Updated TODO list)
Date: 1999-07-12 13:32:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I looked it up.
One problem with this protocol imho is extensive use of modular
exponentiation. This operation is heavy. The login procedure would be
cpu-intensive.
Second - the protocol covers secure authentication. Data is sent unencrypted
anyway. I think it is not wise to spending a lot of effort on secure login
without securing the data channel. "Building secure PgSQL" would be an
interesting subject of discussion though.

Gene Sokolov.

From: Mattias Kregert <matti(at)algonet(dot)se>