Re: Problems with PG_DUMP and restore

From: A_Schnabel(at)t-online(dot)de (Andre Schnabel)
To: "ML: Postgres SQL" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problems with PG_DUMP and restore
Date: 2001-07-10 19:35:56
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,

>In an effort to do some general cleanup in my database functions, I
>dumped the schema (pgdump -s) and the data (pgdump -a) to seperate text
>files.

I'm using a similar method for my own project. But I dump the data with
the -d or -D option. This ist not as fast as the raw copy but more flexible.
Maybe you should give it a try.
If you rename some colums of your table, you should use -d (propert INSERT
commands instead of COPY).
If you reorder the colums of your tables you should use -D (propert INSERT
with explicit Attributenames).

You cannot do both (rename and reorder columns)!

Andre

Attachment Content-Type Size
Andre Schnabel.vcf text/x-vcard 212 bytes