pg_ctl: could not start service "pgsql-8.2": error code 1063

From: Benoît Bidaine <Benoit(dot)Bidaine(at)e-xstream(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_ctl: could not start service "pgsql-8.2": error code 1063
Date: 2012-12-24 11:51:31
Lists: pgsql-general

Dear all,

I am having issues with defining a service to start pg_ctl on a Windows
server 2003 machine and accessing a data directory stored on a network
drive.

I have well noted the suggestion of creating an unprivileged user to start
the service
(http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2007-05/msg01340.php) but it
is not possible to create a local user on a Windows server machine.

Could you clarify

- why it is not possible to log on the service from the same user
which has been used to create the database and can start pg_ctl manually,

- in which directories I need to make sure that the user logging on
the service has the full rights (I guess the data directory but probably
also the postgres executables directory)?

Thank you very much in advance!

Merry Christmas and happy new year,

Benoît Bidaine

Application Engineer

Customer & Engineering Services

Phone: +32 10 814082

Skype: eX_BBe

<http://www.e-xstream.com/> eXMSClogo

Follow DIGIMAT News on <http://www.linkedin.com/groups/DIGIMAT-2156596>
cid:85A8A262-0B0F-490E-86CB-4E97FBC522E3 <https://twitter.com/#!/eXDIGIMAT>
Description : Macintosh HD:Users:elodiemaurer:Desktop:twitter-logo.jpg