Accessibility issues in PgAdmin

From: <timjonas(dot)boettcher(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: <pgadmin-support(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Accessibility issues in PgAdmin
Date: 2021-03-12 18:17:00
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hello,

I discovered an accessibility issue in PgAdmin:

All toggle buttons (eg. used to grant or revoke a role’s rights or adjust the app’s behaviour in preferences) are labelled as toggle buttons and their yes/no, true/false state gets reported correctly, but do not have the appropriate WAI-ARIA roles (role="button" and aria-pressed="true/false").

Therefore, they do not actually behave like toggle buttons (to a screen reader, they are simply text). Moreover, the buttons only respond to mouse-clicks on … I don’t even know, because my braille display only shows empty space at the spot where one would need to click.

Is there, perhaps, a keyboard shortcut/mnemonic to toggle the buttons? Or do all of you simply use the mouse?

If the latter: Is the pgadmin-hackers mailing list the right spot for feature requests/patch requests or is there a GitHub repository where I could post the issue?

Making the toggle buttons respond to keyboard actions (such as clicks using the space bar) has the advantage that it includes blind users as well as users struggling to handle a mouse, or those who simply prefer using the keyboard.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Kind regards,

Tim