table partitioning: effects of many sub-tables (was COPY too slow...)

From: "Rick Schumeyer" <rschumeyer(at)ieee(dot)org>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: table partitioning: effects of many sub-tables (was COPY too slow...)
Date: 2005-12-07 03:06:52
Lists: pgsql-performance

Based on a suggestion on the postgis list, I partitioned my 80 million (for
now) record table into

subtables of about 230k records (the amount of data collected in five
minutes). At the moment

I have 350 subtables.

Everything seems to be great.COPY time is ok, building a geometric index on
"only" 230k records

is ok, query performance is ok.

I'm a little concerned about having so many subtables. 350 tables is not
bad, but what happens if

the number of subtables grows into the thousands? Is there a practical
limit to the effectiveness

partitioning?