How to force PostgreeSQL to work faster?

From: "Serge Dorofeev" <sergeyd(at)ua(dot)fm>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: How to force PostgreeSQL to work faster?
Date: 2003-08-11 08:59:45
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi PostrgeSQL team,

My PostrgeSQL installed as part of CYGWIN (Windows XP).
I have compared performance PostrgeSQL to MS SQL (I used a little Java
program with number of inserts in table).
MS SQL is faster in 12 times :-(
It's very strange results.
Guys who developed this server: what you can tell in this - what
customizations needs to increase of productivity?
How to force PostgreeSQL to work faster?

Speed (inserts/sec) Elapsed time (ms)
MS SQL (Average): 295 39 869
testInsert 5000
263 18 977