[Pljava-dev] Developing a db-clustering system using PL/Java

From: johann at 2ndquadrant(dot)com (Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] Developing a db-clustering system using PL/Java
Date: 2011-11-03 17:36:06
Lists: pljava-dev

Daniel Winterstein <daniel at winterwell.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm considering building a clustering solution for Postgres using
> PL/Java. Before embarking on this ambitious task, I'd like to ask
> your advice.

> 1. What state is PL/Java in and is it actively maintained?

It is actively maintained. Though slow on development.

> 2. Am I re-inventing the wheel?

> My immediate requirements are to do _partial_ master-master
> replication. I've checked out several existing solutions such as
> Slony-I, but they seem to offer all-or-nothing replication.

Below, you seem to be describing Londiste. Have you looked at that
project?

> 3. The architecture I'm considering is to use triggers to maintain a
> table of local edits, with edits then sent across the cluster, using
> embedded Jetty servers to handle the low-level networking via http.
> Do you see any objections to this?

> Is there anything about how PL/Java works that might cause problems?
> Is there a better architecture I should be considering?

There shouldn't be anything in PL/Java that should hamper you.
Compared to Londiste, it seems like a duplication of effort though.

What part of Londiste does not suit your purpose?

--
Johann Oskarsson http://www.2ndquadrant.com/ |[]
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training and Services --+--

Blog: http://my.opera.com/myrkraverk/blog/