Re: Hey! ORDER BY in VIEWS?

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hey! ORDER BY in VIEWS?
Date: 2001-07-15 19:41:15
Lists: pgsql-sql

Pater, Robbie, Bruce,

> > Hey! I thought you couldn't do ORDER BY in views ... yet I just
> did.
> > Is this a new thing, or am I just getting my Trasact-SQL and my
> > PostgreSQL mixed up again?
>
> I think it was allowed from 7.1 on to enable LIMIT in views to work
> sensibly.

Makes sense. I take it that this is a deviation from the ANSI 92
standard, then?

What happens if I put an ORDER BY in a view, then call an ORDER BY in a
query, e.g.:

CREATE VIEW test_view AS
SELECT client_name, city, zip FROM clients
WHERE zip IS NOT NULL
ORDER BY zip;

SELECT * FROM test_view ORDER BY city;

Does the second ORDER BY override or suppliment the view ORDER BY, or is
it ignored?

-Josh

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533