Re: Still stuck on a left join

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: <anepon(at)verveinternet(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Still stuck on a left join
Date: 2001-06-28 22:39:16
Lists: pgsql-sql

Ari,

> I've been stuck now on a left join for about two weeks. DB is
> MSaccess2K,
> language is ASP. I'm learning php and PgSQL now, and will be
> migrating
> everything soon. In the mean time. If anyone knows where I am going
> wrong,
> please let me know.

Shame on you!

Seriously, you'd probably spend less time learning how to use PostgreSQL
than on getting around Access2k's "features."

One of these "features" is a fussy query optimizer that frequently
rejects perfectly valid query strings. This is why I charge my clients
$40/hour more to work with Access2k.

Try monkeying with the parentheses in the JOIN expression:

(a LEFT OUTER JOIN b ON a.1 = b.1) LEFT OUTER JOIN c ON b.2 = c.1

.. may work, where ...

a LEFT OUTER JOIN b ON a.1 = b.1 LEFT OUTER JOIN c ON b.2 = c.1

... does not.

Also try it without aliasing the tables.

If you need further help with MS Access, give me a call ... but I charge
hourly for Microsoft stuff!

-Josh

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533