Re: Storing text data in databases.

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: mallah(at)trade-india(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Storing text data in databases.
Date: 2002-02-12 16:22:54
Lists: pgsql-sql

Mallah,

> Is it a good idea to store large amount of text ( ~ 5-10 K ) in
> database
> columns from performance point of view? or store the text in sperate
> files and store the id of the file in the databases.

Thanks to the team's work on TOAST, performance is about equal. The
real question for you to answer is what better suits your data? If
you are using the database for version control, or to serve web pages,
then I would say definitely in the table. However, if this is a
document tracking database just designed to help you find papers, then
I would say use linked files.

If you store the data in the database, you may have to pay close
attention to your disk allocation. If this database sees heavy use,
you may even need to move just that table to a seperate disk to
prevent disk-access slowdowns. Of course, if you are using RAID-5,
this is not an issue.

-Josh Berus

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533