Re: When to use name verses id

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, lbergman(at)abi(dot)tconline(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: When to use name verses id
Date: 2002-02-04 19:30:01
Lists: pgsql-novice

Lewis,

> Integer IDs are probably also more compact and faster to compare than
> strings, but this effect is not so strong that it should govern your
> decisions. If you don't really need an ID column, I think you're
> better off without one.

A number of database books have long discussions on ID columns, keys,
and how to effeciently identify unique rows. In fact, half the DB and
SQL books on either book page (from www.postgresql.org or from
techdocs.postgresql.org) have such chapters.

Make sure that if you are going to rely on a name column as your unique
value, that you make it your table's Primary Key or at least put a
Unique Index on it. Tables without primary keys are disasters in the
making ...

-Josh Berkus

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533