Re: SQL Date Challenge

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL Date Challenge
Date: 2001-06-04 20:26:05
Lists: pgsql-sql

Folks,

Thanks for your suggestions. Apparently I wasn't clear enough about
what I'm trying to do:

> > SELECT ALL Wednesdays BETWEEN 5/1/01 AND 6/1/01;
> >

> somthing like:
>
> select date from xx where to_char(date,'fmdy') = 'wed';

This doesn't solve my problem, as the suggestion above presupposes that
I have a temp table of all possible dates in the range, or
misunderstands that I am trying to find all Wednesdays in column x.

I am trying to list all Wednesdays that are *not* in column x.

This requires me to build a list of all possible Wednesdays (within a
date range), preferably *without* first having a table of all dates in
existance! Some sort of manipulation of the date processor should be
possible, shouldn't it?

-Josh Berkus

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533