MEDIAN as custom aggregate?

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: MEDIAN as custom aggregate?
Date: 2001-10-12 19:38:12
Lists: pgsql-sql

Folks,

Hey, anybody have a custom aggregate for median calucation? I'm doing
this through a PL/pgSQL function, and a custom aggregate would probably
be faster.

For those whose stats terminology is rusty, the "median" is the "middle"
value in a distribution. For example, if we had the following data:

Table ages
person age
Jim 21
Rusty 24
Carol 37
Bob 62
Leah 78

Our Median would be Carol's age, 37. This is a different figure from
the Mean, or Average, which is 44.4. Using the combination of the Mean
and the Median you can do all kinds of interesting statistical analysis.

-Josh Berkus

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533