16 Argument Limit ?!?!?

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: jeff(at)pgsql(dot)com
Subject: 16 Argument Limit ?!?!?
Date: 2001-02-10 19:43:49
Lists: pgsql-sql

Tom, Jan,

After spending an entire day writing and debugging a
particularly complex PLPGSQL function, I just received this
error:

Procedures Cannot Take More than 16 Arguments.

This is a truly devastating blow to my application (which
is already behind schedule, needless to say). I've been
using Functions to control all mods and additions to the
program's data tables. I guess I just haven't had to wirte
a function for a table with more than 16 columns yet.

The current function uses 36 parameters, 3 of which are
arrays.

Is there any way around this? Maybe something using
the RECORD data type? Can anyone help me with an
explanation of the RECORD data type and how to get data into
and out of it?

-Josh Berkus

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533