Re: OID Perfomance - Object-Relational databases

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us
Subject: Re: OID Perfomance - Object-Relational databases
Date: 2000-10-04 04:10:34
Lists: pgsql-sql

Tom,

> The trouble with pg_dump -o is that after reload, the OID
> generator
> will be set to max(any OID in the dumped data). So a
> dump & reload
> doesn't do anything to postpone OID-wraparound Ragnarok.
>
> As for the likelihood of overflow, figure 4G / tuple
> creation rate
> for your installation (not database, but whole
> installation controlled
> by one postmaster). Unless your installation has just
> one active
> table, per-table sequence values look like a better bet.

Somebody (urgently) needs to tell all of the above to Bruce
Momjian (I've cc'd him); his book-in-the-making points up
OID's as a convenient and universal way to identify and link
tuples (chapter 7) and doen't mention these problems. Who
can I bug about how useless the above makes OID's?

Thanks for the warning, and thanks Michael for the
suggestion; I'll use it and send you all back notes on how
it affects performance.

-Josh