Re: Re: Re: DateDiff, IsNull?

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Alan Gutierrez <alangutierrez(at)hotmail(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Re: DateDiff, IsNull?
Date: 2001-08-15 15:10:36
Lists: pgsql-sql

Alan, Tom, Ross, etc:

> > Well, Alan, overloading operators is sort of important to the user
> > definable types in postgresql. And any cross-type functionality,
> actually.

Hmmm ... I wasn't aware that what SQL does is "operator overloading",
per se.

Instead, I was under the SQL-spec impression that operators were defined
within the context of their relative datatypes, and only within that
context.

For example, currently 730::INT / 7::INT works fine, but '2
years'::INTERVAL / '1 week'::INTERVAL gives me an "operator not defined"
error. This is because nobody has had time to define the operator "/"
in the context of INTERVAL / INTERVAL. When someone does (oh please?
grovel, grovel) it will be defined, not overloaded.

Similarly, the operator "+" has no standard defintion in the context of
VARCHAR + VARCHAR. So how is defining it as a concatination operator
(whatever other problems there might be with that) "overloading"?

Or am I missing the point?

-Josh Berkus

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533

Attachment Content-Type Size
unknown_filename text/plain 2 bytes