Report on NetBSD/mac port of Postgres 6.4.2

From: "Henry B(dot) Hotz" <hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov>
To: tgl <lockhart(at)huey(dot)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov>, t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp, muc(at)isr(dot)co(dot)jp, port-mac68k(at)netbsd(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Report on NetBSD/mac port of Postgres 6.4.2
Date: 1999-05-13 22:25:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Well I got the patch file from Tatsuo Ishii (thanks!!!) which includes the
NetBSD/m68k fixes by NAKAJIMA Mutsuki (double thanks!!!). I applied it to
the postgres 6.4.2 distribution and it mostly worked.

Caviats:

1) It won't compile with kerberos 4 enabled. Yes, I loaded the secr.tar.gz
distribution, but there are some serious problems with kerberos on my
machine so this may not be Postgres' fault. (Yes I adjusted the various
names/paths for NetBSD differences.)

2) The following four regression tests fail:
geometry
datetime
horology
inet

Geometry appears superficially to be the usual roundoff problems. Inet
looks superficially to me like the MacBSD output may be more correct, but I
don't know what's going on well enough to be sure. Horology is likely to
fail due to some obscure dates which are tested, but I haven't verified if
that's the only problem in this case.

The datetime failure looks to be serious. 'now'::datetime -
'current'::datetime yields more than 200 days!

If anyone (Tom?) wants an account on a Quadra 840av to investigate the
problem further let me know. The apparent speed of the beast is about half
of my SPARCstation 5 or around 1/4 of a beefed up Ultra 5 so it's fast
enough not to kill you. Anyone who can get real work done on an SE/30
(NAKAJIMA Mutsuki) has my respect for their patience.
Henry(dot)B(dot)Hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov, or hbhotz(at)oxy(dot)edu