Re: I can't even get started..... HELP!!!

From: John Draper <crunch(at)shopip(dot)com>
To: Heath Johns <heath(at)elesi(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: I can't even get started..... HELP!!!
Date: 2001-03-05 02:10:03
Lists: pgsql-novice

>Simplest thing to do; forget the ports collection. The installation
>instructions available on postgresql.org are excellent, and it goes very
>smoothly on a FreeBSD box.
>
>Postgres is a fine RDBMS, I think you'll agree that it was worth the
>install :)

Thanx to Dr Vague, who paged me on ICQ, and very patiently held my
hand through this complex procedure, because I un-knowingly used the
Ports collection, he saved the day. Here is what transpired...

Bear in mind, I'm running FreeBSD, a fresh install... did the "Ports"
install, but for those that stumbled down the same path I took, here is
ALSO what you have to do.

-----------

Notes in Installing and Setting up PostGreSQL.

1. Do the "ports" installation. It should then create a directory
/usr/local/pgsql

2. It already created the "pgsql" user, but it created the user with
no "shell" command, so we have to edit the /etc/passwd file so
this line looks like this. First, go into "root" before editing
it.

3. Edit the entry to look like this:

pgsql:*:89:89::0:0:PostgreSQL Daemon:/usr/local/pgsql:/bin/sh

NOTE: The stupid installer fucked up and set the account so
there is no login.

Use: "vipw" to edit the password file.

4. From "root" type in: su -l pgsql - this logs you into the
"pgsql" account, from which all other actions can take place.

5. Type: pg_ctl -w start - This starts the postmaster Daemon.
this runs a script that starts the postmaster.

6. If, for some problem, the machine goes down "dirty" or something
failed, after restarting again.

there is a file in /tmp called .s.PGSQL-5432 or something similar...
you have to remove that file before the postmaster can be restarted
again.

7. psql template1 - should now start up PostGreSQL, using this as a
default database.

Thanx a lot everyone.... I'll stay in here a few days to catch any other
"gotchas" that might be posted.

John