Doing \copy after a file upload.

From: lynch(at)lscorp(dot)com (Richard Lynch)
To: php3(at)lists(dot)php(dot)net, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Doing \copy after a file upload.
Date: 1998-07-03 20:11:53
Lists: pgsql-general

This is cross-posted to PHP3 and pgsql-general because it's a half/half
sort of thing... Please check replies carefully and avoid too-specific
answers going to both lists. If in doubt, email me direct, and I'll
summarize where appropriate THANKS!!!

#1 I'm running PHP3b6 because my ISP can't get RCx/final to compile yet.

#2 I'm not super concerned about security because the only guy who can
access the page to do this upload (validated via DES-encrypted password
thru php<->postgresql) may make stupid mistakes, but is *incapable* of
hacking *anything*. Trust me on this one. :-)

#3 I've RTFM to the point where I have the files I need uploaded, and
they're in my tmp dir.

#4 I can do '\copy blah from /path/to/tmp' in psql just fine.
#4a I can't do 'copy blah from ...' because of "Postges superuser privilege".
[Dunno if that's feature of my ISPs setup or beta or what.]

#5 I thought I could do pg_Exec($conn, "\\copy blah from $path"); on the
assumption that that's something I could type in psql, and so is an SQL
statement, so \copy oughta work just like an SQL statement works...
#5a I get:
Warning: PostgresSQL query failed: ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "\" in
/iiw/htdocs/chatmusic.com/upload.php on line 78

#6 Not sure whether:
A. I was naive about \copy working like an SQL statement.
B. I've done something bone-headed in the pg_Exec
B1. I know I need \\, since \ sez "bad escape sequence"
C. I should research system/shell/passthrough stuff
Do you get the idea that I'm not even sure which one does what?...
C1. I would need to do psql -u, but then how do I pass in username/passord?
[Straight psql won't work from a shell for me, due to ISP setup.]

#7 I hope you understand all this better than I do. :-^

Advice welcome.

PS In my multiple attempts at this, Netscape 3 on my mac seems really
weird. When I post the form, I have to hit reload for it to actually post
the upload. It works on reload only. Submit does not instantiate the
$filename variables. Reload does. Subsequent reloads complain about a
missing nsfile on my local hard drive before it even tries to contact the
server, which I guess was a temporary copy of what I'm trying to upload.
Quite annoying though. If it's Netscape cacheing I can deal with it, but
if it rings a bell for somebody on some other problem...

-- "TANSTAAFL" Rich lynch(at)lscorp(dot)com