Re: Multi-master replication

From: Laura Smith <n5d9xq3ti233xiyif2vp(at)protonmail(dot)ch>
To: Zahir Lalani <ZahirLalani(at)oliver(dot)agency>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Multi-master replication
Date: 2021-08-13 09:46:36
Lists: pgsql-general

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On Friday, August 13th, 2021 at 9:00 AM, Zahir Lalani <ZahirLalani(at)oliver(dot)agency> wrote:

> Confidential
>
> Hello all
>
> Does anyone on the list have production experience of using PG in a multi-master setup – if so using which tools?
>
> Thx
>
> Zahir

I have sometimes considered it, but it always struck me that given there is no first-class support for it, multi-master in postgres is just an opportunity for so many foot-guns to enable to things to go terribly, terribly wrong.

Maybe you need to look at something like CockroachDB which has a degree of Postgres syntax compatability (https://www.cockroachlabs.com/blog/why-postgres/). N.B. Not speaking from experience here, CockroachDB is something I've wanted to play with for a long time but never had the time !