data-checksums

From: "Rakesh Kumar" <rakeshkumar464(at)mail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: data-checksums
Date: 2018-01-09 17:42:07
Lists: pgsql-general

--data-checksums
Use checksums on data pages to help detect corruption by the I/O system that would otherwise be silent. Enabling checksums may incur a noticeable performance penalty. This option can only be set during initialization, and cannot be changed later. If set, checksums are calculated for all objects, in all databases.
====

If I understand it correctly, the performance penalty is when the blocks are written to the disk by the background writer and/or during checkpoint. Given that the process is async and application does not wait on it, is the performance penalty really a big concern.

thanks