Does creating readOnly connections, when possible, free up resources in Postgres?

From: "David Kremer" <jkorders(at)gmx(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Does creating readOnly connections, when possible, free up resources in Postgres?
Date: 2019-01-27 18:11:09
Lists: pgsql-general

(resending to remove HTML formatting)

I have an API server and I'm trying to be conscientious managing Postgres's resources carefully. On the client side, I have a Hikari Pool.

Usually when I need a connection, I simply create a default read/write connection, even if I don't plan to make any updates or inserts or hold any locks. But most of my database connections are in fact read-only.

I saw that when you create a JDBC connection, you can specify readOnly=true. Would doing so somehow help Postgres manage its other connections? Perhaps Postgres, knowing that a connection is readOnly and will never even attempt to do an update, will free up some internal resources for other connections. Is this accurate?