Aw: Re: How to store "blobs" efficiently for small and large sizes, with random access

From: Karsten Hilbert <Karsten(dot)Hilbert(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Dominique Devienne <ddevienne(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas(at)visena(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Aw: Re: How to store "blobs" efficiently for small and large sizes, with random access
Date: 2022-10-20 10:38:49
Lists: pgsql-general

> I don't know what exactly they are, but I suspect that they are just
> files (segments?) in Oracle's "file system" (tablespaces/datafiles).
> So pretty much what we recommend.

Maybe so, but if those large segments are presented "seamlessly"
in the form of a table integrated with PGs access/security infrastructure
that would be really helpful for some scenarios.

A view-on-top-of-file_fdw kind of thing ?

LO seems to nearly be there by now, or am I misunderstanding ?

Karsten