[Pljava-dev] What about using the server jvm ?

From: thhal at mailblocks(dot)com (Thomas Hallgren)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] What about using the server jvm ?
Date: 2005-05-18 21:40:07
Lists: pljava-dev

Juan Manuel Diaz Lara wrote:

> I made a very small test, I chaged my path to jre/bin/server in place
> of jre/bin/client, and executed SELECT
> sqlj.get_classpath('public')... it worked.
>
> I would like comments about the implications: what about performa ?
> and compatibility ?

PL/Java supports both the client and server JVM. The best choice depends
on your use-case. The server will typically outperform the client during
long and heavy sessions at the cost of higher memory consumption and
some degraded performance initially. Since a PostgreSQL backend is
single-threaded and each session spawns a JVM of it's own, the higher
memory consumption imposed by the server may not be worth it.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren