[Pljava-dev] stack depth limit exceeded (NOT from infinite recursion)

From: thhal at mailblocks(dot)com (Thomas Hallgren)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] stack depth limit exceeded (NOT from infinite recursion)
Date: 2005-09-23 09:42:13
Lists: pljava-dev

kstian wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I created the following Trigger and Function:
>
> ======================================
> CREATE FUNCTION afterUpdateTsr()
> RETURNS trigger
> AS 'pljava.Triggers.afterUpdateTservicerequest'
> LANGUAGE java;
>
> CREATE TRIGGER tsr_afterUpdate
> AFTER UPDATE ON tsr
> FOR EACH ROW
> EXECUTE PROCEDURE afterUpdateTsr(name);
>
> Then in the afterUpdateTsr() java function, I was writing codes to
> connect to servicemix (a JBI container).
>
> In order to do that, I had to install 11 jar files in my postgresql
> table using sqlj.install_jar function.
>
> When the aferUpdateTsr() got triggered, it was throwing "stack depth
> limit exceeded" exception from native C. (I believed it's from
> ExecutionPlan.c). I also printed out the loaded classes from
> sqlj/Loader.java (findClass function) and found that pljava was
> Was it the main reason causing this exception? How do I resolve this
> problem?

Normally, a "stack depth limit exceeded" exception is caused by a
function that calls SQL, that in turn calls a function that calls SQL,
etc. until you recurse so deep that the PostgreSQL callstack is
exhausted. If it's a controlled and expected recursion you can try to
increase the max_stack_depth variable in your postgresql.conf

If you this doesn't help, then I'll have to know a bit more about what
your triggers are doing in order to assist you.

Kind regards,
Thomas Hallgren