How to gracefully keep my specific index in memory ?

From: James(王旭) <wangxu(at)gu360(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: How to gracefully keep my specific index in memory ?
Date: 2019-08-12 09:51:34
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello:

As the title,How to keep a specific index in memory gracefully?

After some statistical query, I can determine that not all indexes can be fit into memory, but one of the most frequently used indexes(say idx_xyz) can be definitely fit into memory(specifically ,[the size of idx_xyz]=20% x [memory size]).

I know there's pgprewarm, but I feel with pgprewarm I can't keep things under control, e.g. no realtime monitor, being squeezed out of memory ,.etc.

Is it possible that I can simply do something like "select idx_xyz into xxx" and keep the specific index in memory forever?

Best regards,
James