unix time -> timestamp

From: boyd <tbmoore(at)bealenet(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: unix time -> timestamp
Date: 2004-01-06 23:29:16
Lists: pgsql-sql

I'm pretty sure in 7.0 postgres, (but I may be wrong) you could insert
directly from a perl script something like this:
$time = time; # this gives epoch seconds
$sql = "insert into mytable values(..., timestamp($time), ...) ";

And then the $sql string would run with the DBI call, etc.

When I tried the same script on 7.2, it would not take it. I think I
once found another way to do it in 7.2. Of course, I can create a
formatted string in perl that will be accepted by the insert, but it
seems inefficient to have to do it through strings.

Boyd tbmooreATbealenetDOTcom