should this be a trigger or a rule?

From: marc(at)oscar(dot)eng(dot)cv(dot)net (Marc Spitzer)
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: should this be a trigger or a rule?
Date: 2001-12-16 00:16:52
Lists: pgsql-sql

I have 3 tables: pings, curr_state, ping_log and here is what I want
to happen:
when I insert a row into pings it checks to see if the ping was
sucessful or not. Then it checks the current state of the interface
in curr_state table and if they match insert the row. If they do not
match then update curr_state and insert a row into ping_log.

I am not askng anybody to write it for me, I just want to know what is
the prefered PG method to do this. Here is my table defs:
drop table pings;

create table pings (
cm_mac macaddr,
ts timestamp,