Re: Linked Servers

From: "Ian Harding" <ianh(at)tpchd(dot)org>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <M(dot)withers(at)uws(dot)edu(dot)au>
Subject: Re: Linked Servers
Date: 2003-06-02 13:51:09
Lists: pgsql-general

There is something called dblink in contrib that I think does something like that. However, it is not as easy or transparent as the MSSQL Server (and I assume Oracle) implementations.

One thing to consider is using the good bits of MSSQL Server. You can set up the linked servers in it and use it as a datasource for your app. It's a kludge and there are (of course) licensing issues, but if the ability to do cross-server queries is limited to a few 'users' it might be worth doing. Particulary because I believe this feature is enabled in the MSDE (free) version of MSSQL Server. As I recall the only things that are handcuffed in it are concurrent connections (15?) and datbaase size (2GB?).

FreeTDS can connect directly to MSSQL Server from your favorite *nix variant. I use it to connect to Sybase from NetBSD via AOLServer.

Ian Harding
Programmer/Analyst II
Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department
iharding(at)tpchd(dot)org
Phone: (253) 798-3549
Pager: (253) 754-0002

>>> Mike Withers <M(dot)withers(at)uws(dot)edu(dot)au> 06/01/03 06:18PM >>>
Hi

I like to ask if it is possible to set up linked servers in a similar
fashion to MS SQL or Oracle such that there is a common login/workspace and
query structure which identifies "server-database-table" at the SQL query
level?

I have looked at FAQ and searched manuals and archives. Any suggestions?

Mike Withers
University of Western Sydney
Australia

(send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo(at)postgresql(dot)org)