RE: SQL parse error

From: "Kenn Thompson" <kthompson(at)adestagroup(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <francis(at)stellison(dot)co(dot)uk>, <borekl(at)volny(dot)cz>
Subject: RE: SQL parse error
Date: 2000-12-12 11:37:44
Lists: pgsql-sql

All-

<soapbox>
While it is not always the case, I see many responses to questions in the form of "Why don't you just upgrade- that's supported in version XXX".

Let me give you several reasons why this is not always possible.

1. Support software is not compatible.
I use Chili!soft for Linux, a webpage/asp solution. Even tho I use the most current version of Chili!Soft, it currently only supports Postgresql 6.5.2. I don't have the option of upgrading. My DB is used by this software, so I would break the dependancy if I upgraded.

2. DB Users may not be DBAs.
If a user is not responsible for the maintenance of the server or the software running on it (such as a third party ISP or IS department), upgrading is not a choice. While suggestions can usually be made, the user is not at liberty to make it happen.

Being that this is an SQL forum for help, it seems appropriate that any reply for assistance should be directed towards the version is use. This is not intended to be a flame against this particular reply, just an observation is general. While stating the version that a particular solution is available is not completely inappropriate, every attempt should be made to offer help in the version that is being presented by the request.
</soapbox>

Sorry if this seems long-winded- it just seems that someone needed to say it...

Kenn

Kenn Thompson
Senior Web Architect
Adesta Communications
Work: 402.233.7595
Cell: 402.210.6326

>>> "Francis Solomon" <francis(at)stellison(dot)co(dot)uk> 12/12/00 04:21AM >>>
Hi Borek,

What version of PostgreSQL are you using? This works fine for me on
7.02. Time to update, maybe?

Hope this helps

Francis