Re: alter table alter type CASCADE

From: Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Chris Barnes <compuguruchrisbarnes(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: sim(at)compulab(dot)co(dot)il, Postgres General Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: alter table alter type CASCADE
Date: 2010-05-05 12:31:29
Lists: pgsql-general

On 5 May 2010 13:14, Chris Barnes <compuguruchrisbarnes(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote:

> It has been some years since I worked with Oracle, doesn't Oracle recompile
> the view when the object it references changes in structure?
> Send

What does Oracle do when you've got a view like:

CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW test_view AS
SELECT test.test_id, test.test_value, date_is_future(test.test_date) as
upcoming
FROM test;

Where date_is_future expects a text field, but you change the test table so
that test_date is now varchar(20)? The function no longer matches the
signature. Does it just prevent it? And what about when conditions are
provided in a WHERE clause which become invalid when the column type
changes?

Thom